Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Week 3, Part I

It's Day 3 of Week 3, and so far I am pleased to report I have written at least 750 words every day this week. I'm even doing my check-in ON TIME! Go me!

Today on the ROW80 site, Ms. Nolan mentioned having established a routine for our writing. Um... yeah. I guess, in a very loose sense, I have done this. On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, my "long" days at work where I take an hour for lunch, I get my 750 words in with little-to-no problem. Thursday, my "shorter" day where I only take a half hour, it's a toss-up. If I start at the top of my lunch break, I get in my words. If I don't, I blow it off for later that night, and may or may not get to it. On Friday, my "shortest" day, where I take a half hour for lunch AND my Evil Twin comes to visit in the afternoon, I write 0 words. On weekends, where I have no set schedule, I fight with myself about sitting at the computer to write. Sometimes I win the internal battle and write. Sometimes I don't.

Ironically, this week, Monday and Wednesday have been days off for me. (MLK, Jr. Day, and some Southern State holiday that makes it a Skeleton Crew day in the government office where I work.) Monday was a big internal struggle, but I won the fight around 10:30 pm. Today was less of a struggle, because I had wanted to have a 7/7 week -- where I write for 7 out of the 7 days.

I still don't know where the story is going. I still don't know about the beasties my characters have encountered. The ultimate resolution is still not even a vague notion, mainly because the central conflict is still unclear.

This round of ROW80 will likely be chalked up to what Ms. Nolan discussed today: Establishing the routing. Setting myself a writing schedule, sticking to it, and damn the lack of a story that comes of it. This will certainly not be the first story abandoned due to sucking mightily. It will very likely not be the last.

SO: One day at a time for this fake-writer, and next round will hopefully see something worth admitting to having written.

Other Blogs in the January 19 Blog Hop

4 comments:

  1. Pfft, you're not a fake-writer.

    You're doing great now, even checking in on time, go you. LOL. It's taking me longer to figure out a routine but I think if we're at least considering a reason why we can't write on a given day then it's something. ;) Good luck for the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what C. Farrell says. :)

    I struggle with the routine thing. I'm not a routine kind of person. That said, I am getting better at this writing habit thing. I'm trying to do something every day, no matter how small. It worked for me last year...hoping for the same results this year.

    Pat yourself on the back. You've done well. Here's to another good writing week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Routine. Some people make that look easy. I don't get it. Yet. (<--See, that's my attempt at being positive.) If you're a fake writer for not having written consistently, then you and I can just fake it 'til we make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fake it 'til we make it! I'm with Susan and you on that one. Keep up the great work, and have a great night!

    ReplyDelete