Monday, January 24, 2011

Week 3, Part II

Here we are, checking in a day late again. And I did so well on the Wednesday check-in, too.

Recap from that check-in: 100% (3/3 days)
This check-in: 25% (1/4 days)
Week 3 Total: 57% (4/7 days)

I've reached the conclusion that I need to re-evaluate how I intend to reach my goal for this round. It's clear to me that I will not write on Fridays. Period. (It involves a standing "date" with my best friend of 21 years. She demands my undivided attention when she's here -- ignoring her for the 30-45 minutes it would take to write is not an option.) I still intend to hit 60,000 words by the end of Day 80, though, so here is the new game plan:

Monday: 1,000 words
Tuesday: 1,000 words
Wednesday: 1,000 words
Thursday: 750 words
Friday: 0 words
Saturday: 750 words
Sunday: 750 words

Haven't changed it dramatically -- just took out Friday and distributed those words over the three days that I can write with no issues.

Now for the self-chastisement.

I can give myself a pass for Friday. I can't give myself a pass for not having written at all over the weekend. I edited my fragging podcast over writing, and since no one here knows about that (except perhaps for K.F. Hubert), I should explain: I hate editing my podcast -- hate it with a passion. Yet I did that over writing. Very sad.

The current reality is that I'm also 5,000 words behind my cumulative goal at this point. It may be time to treat this like NaNoWriMo until such time as that number falls to zero.

(Who am I kidding? I rarely follow through with such public statements of intent.)

Don't forget to look in on how the other participants in ROW80 are doing.

1 comment:

  1. Darren,

    Take heart. This is nothing like NaNoWriMo. You can revise your goals as you go, so you don't have to consider yourself 5,000 words behind.

    Remember, the whole concept of ROW80 is to get you meeting your own achievable goals. NaNo has a hard and fast goal and if one starts to fall behind, they tend to drop out entirely. (I know... it happened to me.)

    So instead of that, just revise your goal to something you can achieve. You have that freedom with ROW80.

    ReplyDelete