Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Check-In: Week 1, Part I

Already check-in day, and what do I have to report? Easy... no writing.

I decided, since I was planning to finish my November novel, that I needed to re-read what I've written so far on my November novel. That way I'd remember what's happened and where I left off. It was a logical decision, actually. After all, when you write in a frenzy of words and aren't actually paying attention to what you're writing, you're bound to miss something.

A lot of somethings, as it turns out. In the first section alone, I spotted at least three statements that were contradicted later in the story. If I were planning to edit this, I'd be in for a nightmare in revisions.

The main problem in this logical decision was that it was a decision reached on January 2, the day we were supposed to start this Round of Words in 80 Days. There already exist 105,000 words on this beast, and I'm a pretty slow reader. This catch-up will take me at least all of week 1, and probably most or all of week 2. So... let's tack that onto the goal list, shall we? Re-read first, then continue the story.

And hope beyond hope that some kind of conclusion can come of this mess.

How goes it for the other participants?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel your pain. My ROW80 goal is to rewrite a novella by the 14th and I keep running into things that I have to backtrack and fix. Good luck with the reading. Hope as you get into the book, it smooths out so you don't have piles of rewriting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries. So long as you're making progress with the re-read, it still counts as work. :)

    To save time, you could make notes on where the inconsistencies are, pretend you already made the corrections, and continue writing until you have your first draft. Then, in the re-write, fix the contradictions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I agree! Progress is progress... and a goal is a goal. Sounds like you are on the right track. And let's not forget you have a finished manuscript to edit...how awesome is that?

    Happy reading/writing!

    ReplyDelete