Monday, July 7, 2014

ROUND 3 - A Hat Returns to the Ring

Hi.  It's me.  I'm back.

For those who haven't met me, or don't remember, might I point you at my introductory post from the very first ROW80, in January, 2011?

(If not, it's okay. the gist of it is that I'm not actually a writer, something my friend gets tired of hearing me say whenever she tries to convince me I am.)

So what am I doing here? That's a good question... without a good answer, though part of it is in the first line of my farewell post of 2012: "I seem to waver. A lot."

I'm a big fan of National Novel Writing Month, and each November I write a novel. Kait Nolan is not a fan and created ROW80.  Some people believe that NaNo and ROW80 are like Star Trek and Star Wars. One rocks all worlds, and the other needs to die in a fire.

Me? In both cases, writing challenge and science fiction saga alike, there's room in my heart for both.

(I love both Star Trek (Next Gen era) and Star Wars (both trilogies). You can't make me pick.)

And while the first draft of this post started out being a defense of NaNoWriMo in a ROW80 world, I will simply say that both writing exercises encourage people to dream. To create. To write.

The simple truth is that, although I'm not a writer, lately there has been a nagging drive -- very tiny and easy to ignore most of the time -- telling me to get back into writing even when it's not November.  This year, I decided to give in to the urge and joined the July session of Camp NaNoWriMo.

So what am I doing here? (Redundant much?) Well, because there is room in my heart for both NaNo and ROW80, I would begin the 80 days with a 10,000-word goal for July and continue from there.

SO... the measurable goals are as follows:


JULY:
Average 334-ish words per day each week. (It's 1,000 words every 3 days, which -- counting the six days that happened before ROW80 began -- makes my 10,000 word Camp NaNo goal.)

AUGUST & SEPTEMBER:
Continue writing, knocking the goal down a bit to 250 words per day average.


If, after this round of ROW80, my desire for writing is maintained, I will reconsider my stance on whether or not I am a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment